About Life in Flow:Flow in Life

Thursday, June 23, 2011

"Sweltering" in Central Park

Though I would be delighted to find myself in NYC, I'm still here in Illinois. However, as a displaced Yankee from Connecticut, I subscribe to the New York Times. Today as I pulled out the Arts section, there was an eye-catching photo of a horn player perched on a boulder, playing out over Central Park Lake! The occasion was the performance of a new piece by Julian Day, Luke Jaaniste and Janet McKay titled "Swelter." You can find Anthony Tommasini's review in today's paper. The performance was part of Make Music New York and consisted of 30 brass players stationed around the lake with much of  the audience in boats on the lake! Tommasini describes the piece as sounding contemplative. It sounds like a very cool piece in a beautiful setting, in spite of the hot, humid weather. I wish I could have been there.

No comments: